[NTLK] How bright is a (well-preserved) eMate's backlight?

Nick Chaiyachakorn little.green.salad.bowls at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 00:07:50 EDT 2017

Hi all - first post here:
I've just bought an eMate off eBay. Being a complete novice to
Newtoniana, and having grown up never seeing EL backlights before, I'd like
to ask: how bright is a a well-kept backlight? The green glow on mine
is barely visible above the LCD grey in a well-lit room. (This dates me as
very young, but the backlight's brightness is a little jarring to someone
who's grown up being told that that backlights are for equalising screen
and room brightness in order to stop yourself squinting.)

Second, has anyone ever tried a NewtonSales white backlight? The website
claims it's fairly "modern", but I don't know what to expect
brightness-wise from it.

Thanks - Nick.