[NTLK] [ANN] Einstein 2017.1.0 released!

Steven Frank stevenf at panic.com
Fri Jan 20 14:43:14 EST 2017

On behalf of the Einstein team, I'm happy to announce that a new release, Einstein 2017.1.0, is available for download!

https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein <https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein>

(For anyone who doesn't already know, Einstein is an emulator for the NewtonOS platform.)

## Available platforms

This release includes pre-built binaries for macOS 10.8+ and Ubuntu Linux 16 (xenial).

The iOS build is also functional but must be built from source with Xcode.  You will need to create an Apple developer account and signing certificate to install Einstein on your iOS device.  You can run it in the iOS Simulator without these requirements.

The experimental Raspberry Pi build can also be built from source.  The status of the Android and Windows builds is not clear to me at this time.

## About the ROM

A Newton ROM file is required to run Einstein. We cannot distribute the ROM file. If you own a Newton device, you may be able to dump your own ROM file from it.  Refer to the Einstein project wiki for more information.

## What's new?

Mostly this release was about tightening some bolts, getting up-to-date binaries out into the world for non-programmers, and getting the project buildable again on our supported platforms.  Maybe this will attract some more developers to the project?

There's also a fun (?) new visual Monitor window on the macOS side, as well as support for "Listener" windows a la Newtsbug.

## Reporting bugs and submitting feature requests

Please submit bugs and feature requests on GitHub, rather than here on the mailing list, so the team can track them more easily:

https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein/issues <https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein/issues>

## Developers, developers, developers!

Please feel free to check out the project and make pull requests!  If you happen to be an expert on ARM CPUs, we are especially interested in help achieving our long-term goal of eliminating the need for MMU emulation, which would substantially increase the performance of Einstein.  An even longer-term goal is eliminating the need for a Newton ROM by separating the bits of the ROM written in NewtonScript from the bits written in C++.  If this sounds like a fun challenge, please join us!  Questions welcome!

We could also really use a Windows developer to resuscitate the Windows build!

If any designer wants to Retina-ize the toolbar and app icons for the Mac build, that would be cool too.  :)

## Enjoy!