[NTLK] Age of List

Grant Hutchinson newtontalkmessages at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:51:06 EDT 2018

> On Mar 26, 2018, at 5:54 PM, Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This may be a question for Grant or Victor: how old is the Newtontalk list if you include the years that it was Newtontalk.com? Is there an archive of messages pre-2001 or so? I would be curious to see what people were discussing in the 90s.

From the bits of information I've been able to piece together over the years, the original list dad, Sean O’Shaughnessy started the list in August 1997. The archives from that 1997-1998 period were stored in a FileMaker database, which Sean no longer has a copy of.

The earlier archives I have are the list digests circa 1999.

Let me know if you want to take a peek at those.

I've put some of these details in the NewtonTalk FAQ document, but be aware that it's still a work in progress.

<https://github.com/splorp/newtontalk-faq/blob/master/newtontalk-faq.md#newtontalk-history>

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian