[NTLK] Age of List

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Mar 27 03:00:05 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:32 AM William James <whjames67 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am not a plank holder on the list, but I can tell you that in the late
> 1990s (up to 1999), there was very little interaction

between Newton users online.

Not exactly true. When AOL was in its heyday, the Newton community was very
active on AOL. In fact, I bought my first Newton from a fellow AOL
member.  There were live chats with developers and industry names. There
was also a huge repository of Newton Software on AOL. Compuserve also had a
repo and community but nowhere near as large or active as AOL's. It took a
while for the web to take hold, though. Oh, and there was OneNet, the Apple
User Group BBS, based on FirstClass. One could find a lot there as well. I
think it was Victor, and I forget who else, that really moved the Newton
community to the web. I bought my first Newton in late 1994 or early 1995.
It was right about the time that NOS 2.0 came out. It was NOS 2 that got me
into the Newton (though my first 120 came with 1.3--I upgraded it)
Jon Glass
jonglass at usa.net
jonglass at mac.com