Re: [NTLK] wearing out internal memory? (longish)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:22:51 EDT

on or about 8/7/01 11:00 AM, the following may or may not have been typed by
Humphreys, David at david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com:

>>> Block size for all linear flash, IIRC, is 64KB.
>>
>> Ouch! That you'd probably notice. So now, is there some
>> utility that can
>> be run to detect problems (I'm thinking something similar to
>> a HD formatting
>> utility that can run tests on the HD.)??
>>
>> - Eric.
>
> Why?? You can't fix it.
> Once it fails, it fails. Period.
>
> What problem do you want to detect?

Well, I'd like to know if it happens more than once or with increasing
frequency or something. If the internal memory on my MP is suffering
electronic Alzheimer's, I'd like to know in advance so I can get another MP.

> As soon as a block becomes flaky it is marked as bad and
> then unusable.
>
> You can't detect a bad block unless you write/erase it.
> Then deciding if it is bad is moot.
>
> I think you will find that your memory will last a lot
> longer than the Newton or Memory card it lives in!
>
> Decreased capacity with time is normal.
>
> Don't worry, be happy.

Actually, I agree. Given the number of write/erase cycles quoted before
problems crop up, you're absolutely right -- backlights and stuff like that
are MUCH more important to worry about.

- Eric.