Re: [NTLK] Power was interrupted...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 14:27:57 EDT

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 02:14 PM, zbir_at_urbanape.com wrote:

>>> The only error I get is "The system restarted because power was
>>> interrupted"
>>
>> Well, then that would point to the battery holder not having firm
>> enough
>> connections to the Newton itself.

>>> I haven't yet, but I assumed the previous owner had since the first
>>> time
>>> I turned it on, I got the calibration scene followed by "Fill out the
>>> owner info" bits...
>>
>> Well, then, assuming you haven't installed too many things yet, it
>> seems
>> that the problem is a hardware one.
>
> Hrm. Just did a new hard reset. Went into Dates, created some stuff, and
> ZAP! turned itself off. Well, I guess I'll be opening it up tonight.
> I've read David Humphrey's site, figuring that that's about all I'll
> need
> to open it up. While I've got it open, I figured I'd clean the glass
> nicely. Or should I just open it, fix the battery contact, and get it
> back together?
>
> Caveats, anyone?

If you don't have any experience in working with small electronics, then
I would strongly suggest you just open it up and look for the battery
contact. If you need to disassemble more than the case, think twice
about it, since you may have problems fitting the parts together once
you're done.

-Laurent.