Re: [NTLK] My repaired Newt

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 15:01:35 EDT

I had been getting some requests about what I did to
get my Newt repaired.
Well, I first went to the FAQ and found the section
that discussed Apple Repairs:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIC3
and called that 800# listed there.
(I highly recommend the FAQ for just general reading!
It's really quite good!)
Once I got through to a person, I made it very clear
that I have a Newton that I need repairing. Even
though the person I was talking to had never done a
Newton repair request, they performed their task of
asking the correct questions correctly. Additionally,
it didn't hurt that I knew a little about the process
either...(years on this list helped me on that) Once I
had given all my information, I was transferred to
shipping (this was the only problem in the entire
ordeal) and a shipping person said that I wasn't the
one who was supposed to be on the phone, it was
supposed to be the rep...but I said that the rep was
extremly busy and the shipping department confirmed
everything with me.
About 2 days later, a box arrived. I placed my Newton
in the box, along with a note describing what was
wrong with the Newton (plus about a dozen well placed
"sticky notes" proclaiming that this was an UPGRADED
NEWTON 20000!) to make sure that I got an upgraded
newton back...Dropped the newton into a FedEx box
(this was actually the hardest part...when I got to
the FedEx Drop box I noticed that the pickup was only
minutes away, so after I dropped the Newton into the
drop box, I waited next to the box for the FedEx guy
to arrive. Once he did, I watched as he placed my
Newton in his crate and take it to the truck)
A little over a week later, I got what I can only
describe as a face-lifted Newton! In the box was a
sheet describing what they did and a statement
proclaiming that my "Monitor" had been repaired and
fully tested and functions correctly!
It looks brand new! New Display, new case, new
pen...NO MORE JAGGIES!!!!!
Now that I have my Newt, my comfort level has returned
to normal and my "appendage" is back where it belongs!
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...