Re: [NTLK] eMateU: a tradgedy of batteries

From: b|indwo|f (blindwolf_at_cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 11:00:23 EDT

Herein lies a tale of victory and defeat. A happy tale, a sad tale. But if
I know this group, all tears will be wiped away, and only bliss will remain.

I recently purchased an eMateU on eBay. At a reasonable price. It came
with many toys. YAH! Then, the evil Postal Service decided it would be fun
to leave it on my stoop. Even though it was insured which requires a
signature. In twenty years it's the first time the Postal Service has
exerted such evil against me. And of course, it rained. I was out of town.
The poor eMateU sat there for nearly 2 days. While it was not soaked, there
was evident moisture. I allowed it 24 hours to dry off. Upon the first
charge, the battery charged quickly. Too quickly. And as quickly as it
charged, so too it lost its charge. I watched the bar drop like the
flatliner at Mercy Hospital. My heart died with it. But what was this!
Just plug the power cord back in and the beat is back. Only it won't charge
up now. So I do a hard reset. Just to make certain the previous owner
hadn't unduly influenced the poor eMateU with some evil and corrupt pkg.
Alas, I recieved a message during the tour that my battery is dead. And
sure enough there is now a fault message instead of a charging message where
that heartbeat once was.

My question: Is the negligence of the USPS a possible reason for the dead
battery? Are there other worries I should have? Will I be able to
resuscitate this heart? I did read about building a new battery... How
much should the USPS or seller *depending on whose negligence* compensate me
for such a crisis? How many questions should I be asking that my ignorance
prevents me from asking?

Please turn this tale of woe into joy. I love my MP130... and the eMateU
would make such a lovely friend along with my iMac233MHz Rev A and LCIII who
I feel certain will enjoy talking with each other.

the yarn spinner,
b|indwo|f