Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #119 ethernet/usb adsl connection

From: Bill Pence (bill_pence_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 22:10:39 EDT

on 8/9/01 4:15 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
profoundly expounded thusly:

> Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:08:17 +0100
> Subject: [NTLK] ethernet/usb adsl connection?
> From: bob barkany <bob_at_barkany.com>
>

> Hello everyone
>
> I asked this question before and someone from the UK, a telecoms expert,
> cannot remember his name replied to me but my outlook xpress threw away all
> my mails and I cant remember anything...
>
> Q. How can I collect my mail on my Ump2000 connected to my mac over etherne=
> I have a usb connected ADSLmodem since a networking one costs twice as
> much ie =A3100 per month which is far too much for a service that only works
> occassionally and even then not much faster than a 56k modem.
> The guy mentioned an "ADSL bridge" or something like that
> Thanks as always
> Bob
> --=20
> bob_at_barkany.com
> http://www.barkany.com
>
> Bob Barkany Photographer
> +44 (0) 7973 666 243

OK, I can at least shine a bit of light here:
in order to connect the newt via ethernet, your machine with the usb
adsl modem must run some sort of connection sharing software such as
ipnetrouter, or surfdoubler, or windows internet connection sharing
or winroute or sygate.

Any of these on the right platform would allow the newton to access to
internet via the adsl.

In order to move to a dsl router that is commonly available, you must change
the usb adsl modem to an ethernet interface unit.

I happen to run an old mac with 2 ethernet interfaces with ipnetrouter to
interface to my internal lan from the ethernet interface adsl modem.
my internal lan has many macs and a couple windows boxes, and sometimes a
macbsd '*nix' clone web server with apache, and even more rarely, I hok my
mp2k with ethernet just for fun.

we have 2 10/100 switches, and each kid can do internet research on the web
on their mac.

I can try to answer other questions. email me off the list.

bill_pence_at_mac.com