Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 11:09:33 EDT

On Monday, August 13, 2001, at 12:02 AM, Tom Spielman wrote:

> OS X itself doesn't support Appletalk natively yet, but it is supported
> under Classic.
>
> On Sunday, August 12, 2001, at 10:38 PM, Christopher Plummer wrote:
>

>>> Anyone know of any existing or pending apps for connecting to a MP2K
>>> from a Mac running OSX (over AppleTalk)? I assume I could run NCU
>>> in Classic, or just reboot into OS 9.1 (it's been working great in
>>> 9.1 from my Airport-equipped iBook 2001 to my Ethernet-enabled Newt).
>>>
>>> Mind you, I'm not expecting miracles, or a Carbonized NCU, but a
>>> simple program to connect with the Newt and bring text files or PKG
>>> files over.
>>
>> I do not believe OS X supports AppleTalk. I've tried to run it and
>> checked their support discussions. The word on the street is no
>> AppleTalk until 10.1.

Sorry to disagree, but I think that OS X 10.0.4 does indeed support
AppleTalk. I can print to my LaserWriter without any problem and my
desktop box is set as an AppleShare file server and I can see it from my
laptop using the Network browser under the AppleTalk services. That is,
EtherTalk, or AppleTalk over Ethernet. There is no support, AFAIK, for
AppleTalk over LocalTalk cabling.

-Laurent.