Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 15:52:21 EDT

Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net) wrote:

> I'm not sure this is true, although I'm not an X user.
>
> I've been told that MacOS X (this is to be fixed in 10.1) doesn't let =

> you connect to AppleShare servers but over IP (which seems to mean
> that EtherTalk isn't supported), while Classic does support EtherTalk =

> (at least, it supports AppleShare servers over Ethernet and Newton
> Connections over EtherTalk).

If AppleTalk is activated, you can access an AppleShare server running
under Mac OS X via AppleTalk from other Macs running under Mac OS 9 (I'v=
just checked by booting my Cube under X and my iBook under 9.1). What is=

not possible for Mac OS X is to access an AppleShare server using
AppleTalk -- only TCP/IP is supported in that direction. As OS support
for file sharing has nothing to with Classic vs. Carbon, classic apps
can't use AppleShare through AppleTalk in that direction either. Classic=

totally relies on Mac OS X proper for driver support, so when some
peripheral such as a scanner isn't supported by Mac OS X, it will not
work under Classic either (you have to boot under Mac OS 9.1 to make it
work). AppleTalk support under Mac OS X 10.0.4 isn't perfect, but it
definitely exists, and that's why classic apps such as NCU can use it.

- Michael

Michael J. Hu=DFmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de