[NTLK] ebay policy

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 18:46:21 EDT

>There is a strict rule at eBay about selling CDR with unlicenced
>software and quack-like activity as well I'm sure. You know those
>"wholesale information for bids" auctions.

By far the strictest rule at eBay is that they want to make money.
And they don't care a s*it if people start auctions that are against
their policy. Oh, sure, sometimes they cancel the occasional alibi
auction, but in general, they don't.
If you don't believe me, use their search engine for "wanted" or,
if you prefer the german eBay, "suche" or "gesucht". Or, to find
the auctions of the especially smart "sellers", search for "w a n t e d",
"w*a*n*t*e*d" etc. You'll get
hundreds of auctions, and in 99 out of 100 the "seller" is in fact
looking for something which is strictly against eBay's policy.
Mail them the results of their own search engine and repeat the
search a couple of days later. You will find that all the auctions
that haven't ended by then are still there. Although it would certainly
have been possible to cancel them and warn the "seller". Stuff like that
could probably be handled pretty much automatically if they really wanted
it. After all, every list server can reject a post based on its content.

Frank