Re: [NTLK] Living with Palm and Newton together...suggestions?

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 12:32:55 EDT

> From: "Gregory J. Wayman" <gwayman_at_mac.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:52:19 -0700
> To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Living with Palm and Newton together...suggestions?
>
> Ed Kummel wrote:
>
> Yeah, I tried to live with a Palm V for about a week
> and found that it was indeed quite useful!
>
> Yea, Ed, I agree I don't really understand about this whole "Its so
> nice it fits in my thimble" mentality with the palm.
> Sure it's smaller, big deal...at what sacrifice.

One thing which keeps coming back to me whenever I read one of these threads
is that the poster is usually the owner of a 2100, or at least a 2000. To be
honest, though, I'm not convinced that the older members of the MessagePad
fair as well in comparisons with the Palm.

I've seen people on this list describe 1.X Newtons as being nice organizers
(similar to comments I've heard spoken here about the Palm). If you're one
of the people who doesn't like the 1.X recognizer, then Grafitti becomes the
input method of choice. At this point, you have the rough equivalent to the
Palm, with a larger screen and removable storage, but no synchronization
capability and almost nonexistent connectivity options.

Move up to a 2.0 Newton and you get a much nicer PIM and great printed
recognizer. You still have the much larger screen and do gain some
synchronization capability though NCU/Orgainizer or third party apps such as
LookOut. The connectivity options are now roughly equal since neither
platform supports Ethernet, though you really want a minimum of a 130 to
connect to anything.

It's not until 2.1 when the real fun starts... Ethernet, fast CPU, etc.

Arguably, the more interesting comparison would be one between the 2x00
MessagePad and the current PocketPCs, particularly the iPaq.

<<<John>>>