Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 05:13:42 EDT

on 21-08-2001 3:18, Samuel Jacobson at jacobson98_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> When holding the tip of the soldering gun to the battery's soldering lip
> should there be any concern that the lip will begin to melt if one does not
> transfer the tin quickly enough?

Apart from Jon Glass's excellent answer on this I would like to ad, don't
worry about melting your soldering lip, since it isn't made from tin it
won't melt as fast as your soldering tin.
And if you would ever get the lip to melt with a soldering gun (which I
doubt, since it probably wouldn't become hot enough) you would have toasted
the battery by than as well.
Please take my advice and practice a bit on partially stripped wires (at
first twist them around each other) before so that you can get the feel of
it, once you see the moment of the heat taking and the tin flowing and
solidifying the connection you'll basically are on your way.

BTW, if the soldering tips don't have little holes in the soldering lips you
might want to pierce them, if you can make the wires "hold on" to the lips
that way it will be a lot easier afterwards (much like starting with the
wires that are twisted around each other)

good luck to our Newton soldering class ;-)

Robert Benschop

P.S.
somebody mentioned reviving both a 2x00 and an eMate battery pack,
please start with the one from the eMate, it's much easier to do.

P.P.S.
I just checked and Frank's pda-soft.de page doesn't mention making a backup
before you start this process, if I remember right from last time I did this
you loose all of your information on your eMate, so please do make a backup.
(isn't that right Frank, and if so, would it be a good idea to add it at the
start of your page ?)