Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Bill Pence (bill_pence_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 20:48:46 EDT

>> hardware to get the soldering iron tomorrow.
>> Perfect! W/ soldering tabs nothing can go wrong! Do not forget to get some
>> soldering grease or solder acid (I don't know how you call it) in your
>> hardware shop.
>> --
>>

> NOT ACID, its called flux. NOT FROM THE HARDWARE SHOP. go to radio shack.
> as much as many engineers hate the place, they do have the rosin core solder
> you require for electrical work.

hi, sorry, I read this again, and it is a bit short. Not intentional, but
if you do this soldering with acid flux from the hardware store, the acid
will remain active forever. This is due to the electric current flowing
keeping the acid active, which will destroy the work.

For electrical work, rosin core solder or rosin flux is required.

My political science prof in college told a story:

A plumber discovered that hydrochloric acid really cleared drain stoppages.
wrote to the federal agency of plumbing (;->) to tell them of his great
discovery.
got a reply that was worded in a typical mumbo-jumbo that chastised him very
vaguely.
We regret to inform you that we have found that this activity can lead to
reduced longevity for the plumbing capital equipment due to the effects of
the solution on the primary materials involved in the plumbing
installations.

He wrote back thanking them for agreeing with his idea.

Got a reply that said:
DON'T USE ACID IN CLEARING DRAINS. IT EATS HELL OUT OF THE PIPES.

-----
that was why I was emphatic. no offense intended.