Re: [NTLK] My first Newton (finally!)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 11:51:31 EDT

On Wednesday, August 22, 2001, at 12:13 AM, Anthony Randazzo wrote:

> on 8/21/01 10:00 PM, Woo Lee at vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net wrote:
>

>> D'oh!!! I forgot he got a 120.
>
> OK, so hooking up the 120 serial cable to serial port on iPrint adapter
> ethernet cable to ethernet port on iBoook via AppleTalk will work "out
> of
> the box." Right?

Yes, that should work, but there are a few caveats. I've never used an
iPrint, so I don't know exactly what kind of Ethernet port it has. If
it's a regular port (meaning that the iPrint doesn't act as a hub or
router), then you will need an Ethernet "crossover" cable to connect the
iPrint directly to your iBook. If you already have an Ethernet hub or
router, than you just need a regular Ethernet cable to hook the iPrint
to the hub/router. That is assuming your iBook is already connected to
the hub/router, if not, then you'll also need a regular Ethernet cable
to connect the iBook to the hub/router. I would guess that you don't
have a hub or router, and that the iPrint doesn't act as one. So, you
probably will need an Ethernet "crossover" cable.

The serial cable between the 120 and the iPrint should be fine, as long
as it's a "real" serial cable. Sometimes, you will be sold a modem
cable, which is not really a serial one, although it's pretty close. So,
be careful about that cable. A last point: although we're talking about
a serial cable, it's not serial data that will be sent over the cable,
but AppleTalk packets. The Newton has the ability to use the same port
as an AppleTalk port or as a serial port, since both protocols are
close, but they are not the same. The iPrint is what we call a "bridge":
it takes incoming AppleTalk packets on LocalTalk (through your serial
cable) and transforms them in EtherTalk packets (AppleTalk on Ethernet),
or it can do the reverse, taking EtherTalk and converting them on
AppleTalk on LocalTalk.

Hope it clears up some questions...

-Laurent.