Re: [NTLK] Pocket Office-2

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 12:21:02 EDT

[Oops -- sent the message before it was completed...d'oh]

Hi Woo,

>Wow, thanks Sushi, that was a great review. Just like David McNeill's
>review at www.pencomputing.com.

Appreciate the complement. :-)

I'll have to take a look at his review. Since he is an ex-Newt user, I
am sure his review is interesting.

>Yup, the OS and screen real estate are the strong points of the Newts.

Yep! Currently I am trying out TimeTrax. It makes great use of the
screen real estate. Very nice app. Lot's of info can show. Sure beats
both the Palm and Pocket PC calendars display wise.

>Also the users of Newts. are a special breed. :-)

Naw, we're just green! :-p :-)

Just talked to a fellow I know at work, who is considering buying a
Pocket PC. I explained some differences between it and the Palm OS. His
response is that he didn't see a difference between the OS's. Simply
amazing!

Those of us who have been lucky enough to experience the Newt OS are
fortunate IMHO.

While the Palm OS is very functional, and works well, it is very limited
in what you can do. Handera and Sony are taking it to new heights.
Handspring has been right up there as well. Funny that Palm is the one
lagging in the market. The other companies seem to be the ones with the
real innovations.

The Pocket PC OS...well, let's put it this way, if you try to shoehorn a
desktop interface into a Palm device, the result is the Pocket PC. In
MSFT's defense, they have improved it a lot. But it misses on many
fronts, IMHO. In other areas, it shines.

The Newt's interface is simple and eloquent while at the same time
powerful. Is it perfect? Nope. But it ain't bad. Given the fact that
Apple discontinued the Newt some years ago, and it is still a viable
platform makes one realize just how far ahead of the pack Apple was. Too
bad they pushed the first Newt out too soon and it got the bad
handwriting rap. When I demo my 2100, people are completely amazed at
how well it works.

And anyone who has used Graffiti, or Crapfiti one of my friends calls it,
for a while can attest that it is a pain to use. Not only do you need to
use somewhat unusual strokes, you must remember which place you are
writing (numbers or characters). What I've heard from many folks is that
at first most find that Graffiti is easy to learn and use. Then as the
time goes buy it seems to loose it's charm. They get tired of using it.

Sorry to be rambling. That's what happens when you are answering your
mail late at night and enamored with your little green friend! :-)

Sushi