Re: [NTLK] HandEra Review

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 12:09:06 EDT

Yes, I've replaced my Newton 2100 with a HandEra 330, and am using
Graffiti.

It's not as good as Newton HWR, but it's livable for most things...for
me. Many people hate Graffiti. I gave it a fair test and found that
it's good enough for me.

To each his own. For me, HWR has turned out to be less important than
the small size. The size was the ONE thing about the Newton that has
always been it's biggest failing for me. I was used to carrying my
electronic organizer in my pocket and now I can again. I can carry a
fold-up full sized keyboard in my other pocket if I really need to do a
lot of text entry, although I've found that I really don't use it much.

And for those folks who think that the Palm is a toy or "just an
organizer" and the Newton a computer....I have to say based on my
experience, you are are misinformed. I have been using BOTH units for
about 2 years, so I think I have some right to an informed opinion in
the matter.

I have word processing ,spreadsheets, databases, Quicken, e-books,
games, and everything else in the way of software on the PalmOS that I
did on the Newton. It's all at least as good, or better as what I was
used to on the Newton since 1993. And the HandEra's 330 Newtonish
features make it even better. All that, and it fits in my shirt
pocket. I'm afraid it was the final nail in the Newton's coffin for
me. If Apple had made a shirt-pocket sized Newton, I'd still be using
it. Alas, Stevie-boy blew it.

Not that I am knocking the Newton. Any model from the 130 on is still
the best designed PDA in everything but shirt-pocket sized
portability. Which was the "killer app" for me. Again, to each his
own. I plan on keeping all my Newtons, regardless.

- Bill