Re: [NTLK] Paul's 710031 sys. patch

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 03:22:04 EDT

>Yes, the 710031 system patch can be installed over ANY
>2x00 MP.

It works on US MP2x00 only (it won't install on any other machine)
with standard ROM Board (it won't install neither on some DVT/EVT
models).

>When you check the memory info, the system
>patch shows 710031-1

Which means it's for US MP2x00 and was released on January, 31st, 2000.

>This patch fixes a particularly annoying bug in
>upgraded Newts.

Wow, didn't know that.

>You won't need this for the MP2100, and most likely you won't need
>this for a Dr. Newton MP2000 upgrade. When I got my Dr. Newton
>upgraded MP2000 back from Apple for other unrelated repairs, the
>newton came back with errors when trying to perform a search
>anywhere. The 710031 patch fixed this and now my newt functions as
>if new.

Really? Ed, you had some weird problem with your Newton. I'm
surprised that installing the 710031 patch did fix it. 710031 is
nearly useless, you know. It fixes a bug that 98% of the Newton users
never experienced, the other 2% experienced it because they
deliberately triggered it. It's just a "Technologiedemonstration".

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/