Re: [NTLK] Newton Press under Classic ???

From: james richter (paparichter_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 01:57:38 EST

--- BK <bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com> wrote:> I tried
everything, from zapping PRAM, resetting the
> power management,
> to rebuilding desktop file, to reinstalling the
> whole system after
> reformatting and zeroing the harddisk. Firmware is
> up to date too.
>
> It just won't give me a stable 9.2.1 I have given up
> - wasted too much
> time already. As far as I am concerned there is no
> such thing as a
> standalone MacOS 9.2

I've had no problem with OS 9.2. I've found it to be
a very reliable OS, as both the Classic environment of
OSX and standalone.

Is the OS9.2 system that you reinstalled a clean, pure
system with no 3rd party extensions/control panels?
Or did your reinstall the system and all third party
drivers before you tried to use the system.

I have three systems installed on my G4--OSX.1, a
fairly clean OS9.2 system folder for OSX, and another
OS9.2 that is the packed system with all third party
extensions. I rarely, if ever, use the stuffed OS9.2
system for Classic; that is the intent of the clean
OS9.2 system folder. OSX and that clean OS9.2 system
are on the same partition; the other OS9.2 system is
on a different partition. If I boot into OS9.2, I use
that stuffed system, since it has all the drivers I
need to run ProTools and other non-OSX/Classic
supported apps.

I have had no problem with Classic under either OSX or
OSX.1. I had numerous Classic problems using the
Public Beta. Classic would never load--I'd keep
getting these "TrueBlueEnvironment" errors. That
hasn't been a problem under OSX and higher.

I have Newton Press and NCU2 installed for both the
stuffed and Classic OS9.2 folders. I never did any
type of custom installations. In fact, I installed
Newton Press for my Classic system folder while in the
Classic environment of OSX (I didn't even boot into
OS9.2 to do it). Newton Press runs just fine.

When you reinstalled OS9.2, did you reinstall OSX.1?
Were OS9.2 and OSX.1 on the same hard drive that you
zeroed out, or are they on different
drives/partitions? I have found that Classic does run
better when on the same partition as OSX (contrary to
what many people believe, who argue that OS9.2 could
become corrupted by OSX). That is one of the reasons
why I keep two different system folders. The other is
that Classic is more reliable without all the 3rd
party drivers that don't run in Classic anyway. So if
there is a driver for any program that runs only in
OS9.2, don't have it installed in the system folder
you're using for Classic.

I don't know if I've been any help, since it seems
that you've gone through what each of us would do to
eliminate problems (PRAM zapping,etc.). I can assure
you that Newton Press does work for me under the
set-up I mentioned, and I've found OS9.2 and OSX to be
very stable.

=====