[NTLK] GhostScript (linux) printing with a Newton?

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 15:05:12 EST

This is my first post to the list and it is quite possible that I have
started out with a dumbo:

I noticed that the Newton has PostScript printers listed. In a previous life
I owned a Psion Series 3a, which could print to file to a PostScript printer.
I would subsequently print those files out with GhostScript (in those days of
yonder on good old OS/2 - I seem to have a nack for making the wrong
computing choices) and get great printout results.

I could not find a way to do this with the Newton however and I am now
wondering if it is at all possible.

I do know that one can print from the Newton to a Print Pack supported
printer connected to a linux computer (it is essentially a simple
shell-script, a bit error-prone but it works - sort of) but frankly, the
results are a little disappointing quality-wise (let's just say that I would
not send a letter printed with a parallel printer to a business relation). I
was told that PostScript printers give a much better result with the Newton
but, alas, I do not own such a beast nor will I have the means in the
forseeable future.

To cut the rambling: Can the Newton print to a Postscript file and if so, how?

Thanks everybody.

Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be