Re: [NTLK] New GPS Software found?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 12:54:34 EST

> Any hints on how to do the connection?? I don't see anything on the
> Magellan that I recognize as a port.
Oops, that is really bad! I didn't know that there're GPS's w/o port.
However, you could open the unit and look for the GPS receiver board. It
should be a very small PCB with a metal box as receiver screen. If you can
find out the board name you might be lucky and get a board description in
the Internet and from there you can find out what are the serial i/o is.
Depending on what's been used you might need a level converter to transform
the normally TTL or CMOS to RS232. These boards are also available...

> Regarding the map... I assume what's needed is a map that's not really
got
> a whole lot of info on it, as all the colors are just going to be clutter
> when one gets to greyscale and then to b/w.
The clearer the map the more details you'll get later. Depending on the
scanning and photo processing program you might get really good results for
transformation of the colours into b/w. That's a field of experiments. Maybe
you can de-colourize your scan somehow.

> I haven't dealt w/ b/w graphics
> since I put away my MacPlus years ago. So, any hints there would also be
> good. (I've got Canvas and GraphicConverter available.)
GC is always a good choice as well as PhotoShop is. I've used PS to get a
1:300000 map of Switzerland to 16 greys and about 14MB size :-) It has a bit
over hundred tiles but it works very nicely. Okay, I've let a professional
company do the scan. They delivered a 75MB TIFF and the only possibility use
that beast on my Mac was to get rid of the colours on a double Pentium 1GHz
LINUX machine with 1GB RAM. After that treatment it was shrunk to 36MB and I
could open it at home and get it down to 14.? MB. Another catch was that NTK
cannot use more than 16MB RAM for heap and program which limits the final
package size. For a larger map you'll have to create multiple smaller
pieces.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG