Re: [NTLK] New GPS Software found?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 13:17:15 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 12/10/01 12:54 PM, the entity known as Marco
Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com conveyed the following:

>> Any hints on how to do the connection?? I don't see anything on the
>> Magellan that I recognize as a port.
> Oops, that is really bad! I didn't know that there're GPS's w/o port.
> However, you could open the unit and look for the GPS receiver board. It
> should be a very small PCB with a metal box as receiver screen. If you can
> find out the board name you might be lucky and get a board description in
> the Internet and from there you can find out what are the serial i/o is.
> Depending on what's been used you might need a level converter to transform
> the normally TTL or CMOS to RS232. These boards are also available...

Well, I did the obvious -- I looked it up on the web...

http://www.magellangps.com/products/blazer12.htm

The specs link takes us to a table that specifically says that there's no
data i/o. Oh well. But at least I learned that my unit is good up to 950
mph!!! And it floats!!! So, when an asteroid plops down in the Atlantic
and I'm swept away by the tsunami, at least I'll know where I am... :-)

- Eric.