Re: [NTLK] NOS 2.0 ROM in Sharp ExpertPad?

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 22:12:37 EST

I have two in the mail that should arrive within the week. The info
at the Newton Gallery implied that the ROM was upgradeable. I asked
the guy who maintains it, and he said that it probably would not
work, for he thought that the ROM in the ExpertPad was made specially
for Sharp. That made little sense to me, though, for it was simply
an OMP in a different case, according to what I have heard.
I am now looking for a spare 120 ROM with which to experiment. I
have seen them on eBay, but they are often expensive. Would anyone
here be willing to sell one for a reasonable price, since it is for
research purposes?
Also, does anyone know what the consequences would be if it were to
not work? What are the chances of either the ROM or the ExpertPad of
being rendered unusable?

-James

>On 12/10/01, James Elliott quoth:
> >Would it be possible to take a 120 2.0 ROM and
> >install it in an ExpertPad? What I read of the hardware makes me
> >think that there is no reason that it would not work.
>
>Except as I recall the ROM is soldered in an ExpertPad. There are
>also some subtle hardware differences in a 120 and an ExpertPad as
>the latter is based on the OMP architecture.
>
>However, if you have the ExpertPad to spare, by all means prove me
>wrong. I'm a sucker for a good hack, and the ExpertPad is still one
>of my favorite Newtons. I almost wish I still had mine... But that's
>another tale.
>
>later,
>--
>ben.
>onefishtwofish_at_mac.com
>
>Newton Connections: Obsessive Newton News
>http://newted.net/~1f2frfbf/
>These things are fun, and fun is good.
>
>--

The James Elliott Newton Site:
http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
Is that a Newton in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?