[NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade - update

From: Calvin Grier (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 11:30:18 EST

To the Newton Community,

I've got good news report on the MP2x00 Display Upgrade kit!

The good news is that design work is complete on the backlight and the
touchscreen. Both sets of engineering drawings were approved last month, and
first-run engineering samples will be under test soon. Assuming that these
prototypes don't have any major problems, we should be able to get a
production run of backlights and touchscreens completed by January or
February.

This means we'll miss the original production date, but not by much. I hope
that taking more time on the production drawings will pay off in better
final product. Here are some highlighted differences that you'll notice
about the kit:

1) The new touchscreen eliminates "newton rings." This is an optical
phenomena that many Newtons suffer from that produces "oil slick" looking
rings of color on portions of the display - particularly after pressing on
the surface. It doesn't affect the functioning of the display, but it can be
very distracting.

2) The new touchscreen also appears more optically clear than the older
Apple touchscreen. The visual difference on an actual MessagePad is most
pronounced when doing a side by side with a non-upgraded unit.

3) The new backlight will be white in color, and will appear bright-pink
when not turned on. The white backlight will not be as bright as a new Apple
MP2x00 Green backlight due to the composition of the phosphor material -
since the brightest phosphors make green and blue-green backlights. However,
we have taken steps to insure that the white backlight is as bright and even
as possible particularly when compared to EL backlights made from larger
panels that have been "cut down." Also, we are using "encapsulated"
phosphors to protect against moisture - which has been known to degrade EL
backlight performance.

4) For normal operation the LCD contrast may improve - making it easier on
your eyes. Although this is hard to measure, I will try to come up with
numbers to support this. Contrary to what you might have been told, display
contrast is more important measure than brightness in all lighting
conditions.

At this point I am preparing to set up the first build order. I hope to have
an order-form posted on my web site that can be submitted by email, or by
printing it out and enclosing payment in a letter. This should be completed
by Jan 1.

The touchscreen kit with white backlight module is expected to be priced at
$129 + shipping. It will include a complete set of printed installation
instructions. Opening an MP2x00 and installing this kit is NOT easy - and
should only be attempted by experienced technicians. I will be posting
email/web links for individuals that have contacted me about offering
installation services.

Thanks!

(Anyone interested in ordering MULTIPLE kits should contact me for pricing.)

- Calvin Grier
Clearly Newton
http://pw2.netcom.com/~cgrier