Re: [NTLK] Don't play with signature or How I crashed the system

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 12:44:42 EST

>>On 17/12/01 @ 21:39, Denis Krasnov wrote:
>>
>>Can it be that trifling with signature indeed caused
>>such a devastating effect ?
>>
>>Can anyone spread a ray of light to what happened ?
>
>On 12/19/01 @ 12:22 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>Quite possible. I didn't know you could drag something in
>the signature box. That's probably what it didn't like.
>I don't think you did something wrong. The Owner Info
>app was simply not prepared for this drag and drop.
>
>This probably left the names soup in some corrupted state,
>since the owner info is simply a special card in the Names
>soup, hence the crashes when you were trying to restore
>the name soup.
>
>Everybody beware, now! Never try to drag and drop a
>signature from another application into the Owner Info!

FWIW, I did a little experimenting.

Bottom line: Follow Laurent's last comment unless you want to test your
Restore capabilities! ;-)

This is a bit long...you've been warned.

I created a small signature in notes via sketch mode. This one all the
letters were normal in relation to each other.

Then I copied and pasted the signature into a new owner card. It worked
with no problems. In the print preview, it looked just fine.

I then created a large signature in notes via sketch mode. This one, the
letters were normal except the first, which was separate (not connected
to the other letters) and about half the height of the MP2100 screen in
portrait mode.

Then I copied and pasted the signature into a new owner card. It worked
with no problems. In the print preview, all the letters were there.
However, while the first letter position was fine, the follow on letters
were moved up so that their tops were flush with the top of the first
letter. Horizontally, they were in the same relative position.

It looks like when you copy and paste, the Newt will capture each part of
your signature as a separate graphic in Notes. Then apply it to the
owner card with Left and Top justification.

I tried this hypothesis, and it was confirmed.

So now that my signature using sketch in Notes worked, I decided to try a
graphic.

For my graphic, I used two different sized circles connected by two lines
using object in Notes. In this case, the circles were not level. The
right one was lower and smaller.

I copied and pasted into the owner card.

It pasted just fine, although when in the print preview, the object
became 4 separate items vice staying as I drew them. The circles were
top justified. The lines, not sure how to describe them, but they both
moved up although not top justified. They lines kept their relative
horizontal positions.

No problems so far. Seems to work just fine.

At this point, I was not surprised due to how the Newt was designed.

Then I got adventurous and loaded NewtPaint.

I created a normal signature via the brush tool.

I then copied and pasted the object into the owner signature block, as
before.

All was fine at first.

Then I tried to print a note.

Slowly, certain Icons would not work. Some would highlight, but nothing
happened. Others sort of worked, but really didn't -- for example, the
File one. The dialog would come up, and I could select a file, then tell
it to file, but nothing happened.

Luckily, I could close the dialog via the x box (close box).

I turned off my Newt.

Took out the card.

Then I did a soft reset.

When I put my card into the Newt, it told me that it was unreadable and
to do a reset.

I tried my card in another Newt, it worked fine.

I tried a few Icons, but found they still didn't work. I figured that I
had corrupted the system somewhere and fairly severely! :-)

So I did a hard reset and restored everything.

Okay, so I like pain!

I tried it again with NewtPaint, this time using the pencil.

Same result.

Resetting my Newt now.

My guess is that NewtPaint was the culprit in this case. I would need to
try some more tests to be sure. Probably something to do with the format
of the drawing.

However, for tonight, I am toast. It's about 0240 and I need my beauty
sleep! :-)

Sushi