Re: [NTLK] door clip removal

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 00:13:36 EST

ahhh! safely he says...the usual method is to either
drop the Newt onto something hard, or shove the Newt
into a case too sharply...but these methods aren't
really "safe", are they?

I don't really think that there's a safe method
though...It looks like a screen of plastic holds them
in place... not something you can remove without
digging away at some plastic welds either...
In my case, I broke one of mine the day after I
received it back fro Apple for repair...I still had
one good one, so I just super-glued the broken one in
place (push it as far back as possible to allow the
door to click open all the way) This way, one clip
still gives and the other one is stationary...works
fine for me, if not the most elegant and cleanly
executed repair!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Eugene Y <eugeney_at_mac.com> wrote:

> With all this talk of door clips, it's motivating me
> to perform a
> transplant of the door clips from my dead
> (broken-screen) Newton 2000 to
> my other (working) 2100.
>
> Call me 'special' but I can't figure out how to
> safely remove the two
> clips from the body. I've considered using the
> brute-force method, which
> involves the use of a tiny flathead screwdriver,
> lots of shoving, and
> perhaps some cursing; however, knowing me I'd
> probably break the clips
> in the process.
>
> So....to those in the know, what's the proper way to
> remove those darn
> clips? Oh yeah, and if it's not obvious, the proper
> way to re-attach
> them?
>
> Thanks!
> Eugene