Re: [NTLK] Waba vs. VNC groveling

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 03:45:09 EST

on 12/21/01 4:15 AM, Sean Luke at sean_at_cs.gmu.edu wrote:

> Plus...argh, I'm running out of groveling pitches here. DANG IT,
> SOMEONE VOTE FOR WABA!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Paul write the ATA driver all
in this calendar year? If so, shouldn't _it_ be the winner? I mean, both VNC
and Waba are absolutely fabulous programs, and ought to be on the Newton,
but like Backtalk, the ATA driver will really, and I mean _really_ prolong
the lifespan and usability of the Newton, and even revolutionize what you
can do on the Newton (mp3 files, graphics, voice recordings, monstrous
programs, etc) more so than anything else ever done for the Newton.

Not only that, but the deep system-level work and the complexity involved
probably make it one of the most difficult to implement.

Sorry, I couldn't help cheer-leading for the ATA driver. I know that Waba is
wonderful, and is also fully worthy of winning--I certainly don't want to
downplay Sean's hard work, nor see him lose. I also know that VNC is
phenomenal in what is is accomplishing, and its developers have had to deal
with these same issues--and they deserve the recognition as well.

I just happen to think that ATA driver is the most worthy.

Either way, I do hope people vote. I can't wait to see the winners in this
year's Newties... :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams