Re: [NTLK] Proximity alarm? Re: Travelling with the Newton for the first time

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 23:37:36 EDT

>Hi Bill!
>
>On thing -- what's that:
>> You might want to invest in a proximity alarm that will go off if the bag
>> gets too far from you.
>
>I know about movement detectors that can be attached to whatever you want to
>stay in place, and I know that you can secure a notebook by fixing it
>somewhere with a steel cable put through a special hole any laptop has
>AFAIK.
>But that wouldn't help in that particular situation, since it has to move
>there anyhow.
>
>So, that other alarm system might add another factor to security...
>Please tell more about it!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Felix

Don't know much; I know I've seen devices advertised that you attach one
part to your bag, and keep the other in your pocket. When the part on
your bag gets a certain distance away from you, it goes off, scaring the
#$&^%* out of the thief. Of course....they may drop or pitch the thing
too hard for what's in it. But at least they won't want to keep it!

That's all I know.

Motion detector wouldn't work as YOU would be moving it.

 - Bill