Re: [NTLK] Proximity alarm? Re: Travelling with the Newton for the first time

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 02:16:53 EDT

Here is a good article on laptop security:
http://www.user-groups.net/UGNetwork/News/9802/theft.html
and you can find the proximity alarm system here:
http://www.laptoptravel.com/cgi-bin/lapt.storefront/3b4948390639a8222719d1626e450635/Ext/LT_InfoCatalog/ViewProduct/TRA9918?catid=61&prodid=TRA9918
(yeah...it's a huge link, but cut-n-past if the link
fails!)
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Bill Davis <newton_at_ecity.net> wrote:

> >Hi Bill!
> >
> >On thing -- what's that:
> >> You might want to invest in a proximity alarm
> that will go off if the bag
> >> gets too far from you.
> >
> >I know about movement detectors that can be
> attached to whatever you want to
> >stay in place, and I know that you can secure a
> notebook by fixing it
> >somewhere with a steel cable put through a special
> hole any laptop has
> >AFAIK.
> >But that wouldn't help in that particular
> situation, since it has to move
> >there anyhow.
> >
> >So, that other alarm system might add another
> factor to security...
> >Please tell more about it!
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Felix
>

> Don't know much; I know I've seen devices advertised
> that you attach one
> part to your bag, and keep the other in your pocket.
> When the part on
> your bag gets a certain distance away from you, it
> goes off, scaring the
> #$&^%* out of the thief. Of course....they may
> drop or pitch the thing
> too hard for what's in it. But at least they won't
> want to keep it!
>
> That's all I know.
>
> Motion detector wouldn't work as YOU would be moving
> it.
>
> - Bill

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...