[NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b2

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 17:38:59 EDT

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the beta 2 of ATA Support. This is the second
beta of a software that will let you use ATA cards like linear cards
and even more.

First, some general remarks about this release. It will expire on
August, 20th. Besides, there is a serious problem when the store gets
full, so I suggest that you don't fill it too much. And finally, to
track down incompatibility with cards due to a bug in the ATA driver,
I've enabled a more extented logging which decreases dramatically
performances compared to 1.0b1 (1.0b2 should normally be faster than
1.0b1 as a bug in the cache has been fixed).

What's new:
-----------
* The bug "view missing viewClass" was fixed.
* The bus error bug when the store was full was fixed - *because of
this bug you
  would better initialize stores used with release 1.0b1*
* The used size is now computed in a more pessimistic way, but when the card
  will run out of space for journalization, it will say that the card is full.
* A bug in the use of the sector cache was fixed.
* A bug in the identification of the card was fixed.
* Changes in the cache sizes are now taken into account when the cards are
  inserted or when the stores are mounted.
* The name of stores are no longer read when the system preferences
are open (to
  prevent an error if the system prefs are open to force initialization of the
  stores).
* Since the MP1x0 newtons don't have a serial number accessible from software,
  registration is now based on the user name and the kind of Newton for them.
* The ATA compatibility verification is now more strict.
* The card infos dialog gives more informations concerning the card.

Known bugs:
-----------
* Erasing a store sometimes lead to an error if the data are corrupted.
* When the store is full, bad things usually happen.
* Under some circumstances, eMates reboots when they're closed.
* Under some circumstances, there is an error -10059 at startup for each
  of the non ATA card inserted (anyone experienced this?)

Download & more informations:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

Paul

--