Re: [NTLK] Another Apple/Newton Rumor

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 11:42:58 EDT

While I agree that the Newton OS is phenomenal, I wouldn't be so quick to
dismiss OS X. Have you tried it at all. Even though it is in it's early
stages, it is very nice. Rather than shutting down my computer, I put it to
sleep, and it wakes up just as fast as my Newton does.

When WinCE first came out it was ridiculous. They tried to put a desktop OS
on a palmtop and implemented it badly.

However, with PocketPC, Microsoft has come a long way. It works well, and
is very tempting. But, I still won't get one because they have no Macintosh
compatibility.

As Apple is already using some Newton stuff in OS X (like the Dock), if they
were to come out with a Max OS X type Palmtop that had the Newton's
Handwriting recognition, it would probably be a lot better than anyone
expects.

Id be just as happy to see an updated Newton OS too. Something that would
support new color hardware, perhaps. Not much else needed by way of
improvement, though. :-)

Again, this is all idle, because Apple won't. But it's nice to dream.

Loren