Re: [NTLK] best Newton software?

From: Chris Stephens (cstephens_at_cat2.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 20:23:18 EDT

>Hi all,
>
>I'm a late bloomer to the Newton [2100] and would like to know what
>everybody's
>recommendations are on the essential shareware/freeware packages that I can
>install on my Newton, and where I can download them (freeware preferred).

Here's an idea. Since we seem to be attracting more new users and
this is a common question, what do you [veteran users] say we compile
such a list. It could be like the old Newton Solutions guide.
Anyone who wants to contribute ideas can send them to the list.
Let's use the subject line "recommended software." If you indicate
whether it is shareware or freeware, I will create a master list and
upload it to my web server space. I'll then ask Paul to include a
link in the FAQ. When this question comes up again, we can refer the
user to the site. Any takers?

Some initial recommendations are as follows:
Freeware:
SimpleMail (eMail software)--Simon Bell
Avi's Backdrop (backdrop)--Avi Drissman
SAI Prefs Cleaner (preference removal tool)--Standalone Software
Deep Green (chess game)--Joachim Bondo
Alarm Clock (clock upgrade)--Adam Tow
ICS Text Editor (eMail/text editor)--ICS
Geek Save (password/account data storage)--Newtopia

Shareware:
Newtscape (web browser)--Steve Weyer
BBEditor (button bar text editing tool)--Byte Size Software