Re: [NTLK] MP2K and NCU v1.0 (Win95-NT)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 11:57:34 EDT

On Tuesday, July 17, 2001, at 03:42 PM, Doug Ramsay wrote:

> I'm trying to connect my MP2K to my PC using NCU v1.0(WIN95-NT). I get a
> successful connection using the COM1 port, and Serial on the MP2K. A few
> seconds after the system information backup begins, the connection
> drops due
> to a "connection error (-1)". The Read Me File says:
>
> "
> * Can't connect - If you experience connection problems between your
> Newton device and your PC, it may be because your PC cannot support
> the communications speeds required by NCU. Several packages are
> supplied with NCU that allow the Newton device to communicate with
> your computer at speeds slower than the default 38.4 KB. These
> packages are named 2400.PKG, 4800.PKG, and 9600.PKG in the NCU
> directory. It's recommended that you install and try out the package
> that
> represents the fastest baud rate (9600 KB) first. Install the other
> packages if communications problems persist."
>
> I have all choices mentioned above when I choose my connection on the
> Newton, but the problem still exists (on the other hand, I don't
> actually
> see the packages on the Newt). I've tried connecting at all other
> speeds,
> but the Newt and PC just hang.
>
> A) Should I try to install the above packages?
> B) I've tried the COM2 port - no success there either.
>
> Any suggestions? I tried the FAQ but couldn't find a solution..

Hi Doug!

I don't think trying one COM port over the other will help, as you
experienced. So, you actually tried the different speeds with the same
result? I take it that you also changed the speed in the setup in NCU?
If not, it will blindly try to connect at whatever speed you set, no
matter what you use on your Newt.

The next question would be what speed is your PC running? It might be
too fast for the connection to work reliably so you might want to try
"SlowDown.exe", to slow your PC down.

Finally, if all of this fails, then I'd like to know if the backup fails
always at the same place. That would maybe (and I emphasize on the
"maybe") be some corruption in the soup that the Newt is trying to read
to relay to NCU.

-Laurent.