Re: [NTLK] uMP2000/2100 vs. eMate

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 12:59:15 EDT

> From: "Samuel Jacobson" <sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] uMP2000/2100 vs. eMate
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:02:52 -0400
>
> I am currently in graduate school and have become enamored with the
> flexibility of the UMP2000/2100. Specifically I like that I can take all my
> lecture, seminar, and conference notes (including graphical and scientific)
> via the HWR and screen, as well as be able to work on papers and thesis
> directly on the machine.
> While I am familiar with the abilities of the UMP2000 I have never seen
> thus used an eMate and was wondering what the consensus of this NUG might be
> to which unit (uMP2000/2100 or eMate) would be better suited to a student
> especially since I cannot afford a laptop and, again, am very lured by being
> able to take notes directly into the machine...

Dear Sam,

I am a student myself, so I think I can help a little. ;)
Some weeks ago I had an opportunity to do a little testdrive on an eMate (Hi
Till!). It is a very nice thing, big screen, cute clampshell enclosure,
usable keyboard, very rugged but lightweighted.
In my opinion, its biggest benefit is the keyboard, as it is much better
than the detachable one for the MPs.
Trouble is: It is not as fast as a MP2x00, and it has less memory.
I guess you won't be typing during your lectures but primarily use the HWR?
Quick writing *could* be troublesome as well, regarding the angle of the
display.
You have to remember: The eMate is primarily a "sub-subnotebook" with a
touchscreen, while the MPs are notepads.

Size may also be a factor.

From my perspective I can recommend the MP2100 for quick and easy notetaking
during seminars etc., and convenient use. I did not spend a penny on paper
last semester, and it is just another book in my bag.
Whenever I want to enter long texts I can either use the detachable keyboard
(it gives you this certain archaic typewriter feeling) or I just hook up the
MP to the Mac to use its keyboard for typing or cut&paste.

Truely ideal would be a mix of three machines: a MP for everyday, an eMate
for massive typing on the go, and a Mac for the rest.
A PowerBook/iBook may solve the need for an eMate, but would be heavier,
much more expensive, more fragile and less dependable.

Regards,

Oliver :)

--
Viele sprechen pro Tag mehr mit ihrem Fernseher als mit ihrer Frau.