Re: [NTLK] eBay scumbags Round 2

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 15:25:05 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 7/22/01 12:38 PM, the entity
known as John Venzon transmitted the following from jvenzon_at_earthlink.net:

> Fellow Newton Owners,
>
> I am putting up another eBay auction for the eMate manual. The person who
> was selling a print out of the .PDF eMate manual complained, and shut down
> my first auction. He was able to make over $20 the last time, so in the
> spirit of general nose tweaking, I waited until he started up his auction
> again, and pounced!
>
> But first, here's what I found out about auctions on eBay:
>
> 1. They frown on fake auctions. (No surprise)
> 2. They won't let you link to other sites in your listing unless it relates
> directly to the item. Again, no surprise.
> 3. You can complain about copy write violation, but unless you are the copy
> write holder, thanks for complaining, we'll get right on that with
> "thinking."
>
> So, to avoid getting knocked off, I am actually selling a printed out copy
> of the PDF manual. Which is to say, I am undercutting myself by offering the
> ..pdf link as a "preview" of the manual I am selling, as a free download.
> Since this guy called the eBay cops on me, I can't joke or make sideways
> glances about the auction, so it has to look legit. I added another link to
> my quickie website with links to UNNA and the like. It's listed as a link to
> "more information about the eMate manual for sale."
>
> This is going to be my last eBay auction in regards to this, as both
> auctions have been up, he has already gotten $5.50 in bids. D'oh.
>
> Let's see, one for free, or one for $5.50? I'm on the wrong side of this
> fight.... :-P
>
> Thanks for the general encouragement, folks!
> John

Too bad eBay doesn't let you put a small bit of text in when you bid. I
forget which one, but before eBay steamrolled the others, there was an
auction site where you could post a single line (40 char??) comment that
showed up when the bidding history was displayed.

BTW, Apple's attorneys are pretty vicious. Wonder what they'd try to do to
eBay if they found out they were aiding and abetting the sale of Apple
copyrighted material??

- Eric.