Re: [NTLK] Life with MAC OS X & the New G4 Macs

From: Mark Ross (markross13_at_home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 11:48:26 EDT

>On Saturday 28 July 2001 08:49 am, you wrote:
>> When the serial ports on the MAC go away and the MAC OS X in installed,
>> what do we do to talk to our Newton with software that doesn't know about
>> things like EtherNet?
>>
>> Is there an "upgrade" path to keep the Newton integrated with the new MAC
>> platforms?
>>
>> Has anyone proven things can be made to work?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard.
>
>Its called a USB->Serial adaptor and classic mode.
>At least, I think that will work, im just $200 short of getting my new
>iBook and finding out first hand. I think this was covered a few
>weeks ago, tho.
>
>--
>You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one.

Yes, this will work and has been tried by list members. You are correct,
however, that it will become increasingly more difficult to connect as OS
X becomes the standard and dropping into classic becomes and increasing
hassle. BTW, what software doesn't speak ethernet?

Mark Ross
markross13_at_home.com