[NTLK] Re: Building a PC serial cable

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_BOS.StreamServe.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 07:43:36 PDT

> The main problem is that the position of these wires in the
> DB9 end are
> wrong, and I can't seem to pop them out of the DB9 shell.
> Pulling on the
> wires does not work, nor does shoving a wire through the DB9
> connector and
> trying to push it out the other side.
>
> Is there any way to get these things out, or do I have to go
> out and get a
> new DB9 shell, re-crimp all of the wires and build a new one?

There is actualy a tool for this, I believe; it holds down the little tabs
that prevent the connector bits from coming out the back. Since you
probably don't want to have such specialized tools taking up space (not that
it's big), your best bet may be to clip the necessary wires and solder them
back the way you want them-

-Sam