[NTLK] Re: MP2k Carrying Case?

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 08:26:30 PDT

Joel wrote (concerning Timbuk2 bike messenger bags):
> These bags look interesting. I'm not sure if it suits the small,
> light & portable option I was thinking of for just my Newton, but it
> looks promising as a bag to haul books for class in too. How do you
> think the bag you have would hold up to carrying one or two decent
> sized college books with the Newton in it? Would I be worrying about
> my MP2k being crushed or no? Also, does it hang well when walking as
> opposed to bike riding? Thanks! Any input would be great.

        My bag definitely doesn't fit in the "small, light & portable"
category. Then again, I carry a bunch of stuff in it. It'll hold up fine
with whatever you want to put in it. It is well made and very strong.
The slick thing about the bag (from a Newtons point of view), aside from
the fact that it is waterproof, is that it doesn't have a flat bottom.
The bottom is round, like a carpetbag. The stuff in the front pocket,
then, sits higher up than the bottom of the bag and never gets smooshed
by the stuff in the main pocket. I carry my Newt and a CD player in the
inside and outside front pockets, and they've never been dinged by any
of the stuff I carry in the main pocket (books, CDs, a bike pump, tools,
etc).
        As far as walking comfort goes, it's not as comfortable as a
knapsack, but it is fairly comfortable. The strap has a big ol' cam lock
adjuster on it, so it's easy to adjust it from snug on your chest for
bicycling to loose for walking.

        Jim Anderson

        Let's think of the merits and the virtues of the band, 'Black
Sabbath'.