Re: [NTLK] (Off-Subject) NetBSD1.5 or Debian2.2??

From: Brian McEwen (bmcewen_at_cowboy.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 10:32:25 PDT

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 markmontoya_at_mindspring.com wrote:

> I know this is off the subject. I am considering pulling out my old
> ClassicII and SE/30 and putting either NetBSD or Debian on them. Has
> anyone used either BSD on older Macs? They can be used for a firewall
> or Web server running Apache? What do you think.

IPNetRouter has a 68k version that works as a decent
router/firewall. runs on MacOS 7.5.5 IIRC, which is just fine on the
SE30.

But, you'll need 2 ethernet ports to do it right, and you only have one
SE30-PDS slot internal- so you'd have to also install one of the
SCSI-to-ethernet adapters on the DB25 external SCSI port. As well as find
one of the special-PDS NICs (it's not the standards PDS slot from the
other old macs).

Your options for un*x are limited; I don't think debian will run well
enough to be useful; see www.lowendmac for some info, also
www.jagshouse.com.

You CAN run ftpd via netpresenz, and www using netpresenz or machttp, on
the SE30 under MacOS. which, is what I'd do. I'm not sure that there is
a spam-protected SMTP for 68k though- EIMS is free but will relay, and the
only other ones that I know are secure are PPC-only.

HTH.