Re: [NTLK] MP2000 & Extras for Sale

From: JRD (jdpizzo_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 06:17:56 PDT

On 6/29/01 1:35 AM, "Joel Watson" <joelwatson_at_enterThought.com> so
eloquently stated:

> Unfortunately, I'm selling my MP2k. I'm heading off to college <snip>...
> I'm planning on getting a smaller Palm-based PDA (the HandEra 330)
> due to its greater portability in pocket-sized situations.

Joel, I'm in a similar situation (about to go back for my MBA) and have
decided to go the other direction - switch from a Palm Vx to my mothballed
2100. I found that the Palm was useful in a work environment b/c my PIM was
on my desktop and the that's what I used 90% of the time. All I really
needed was a way to view my schedule when in meetings and out of the office
and the Palm was fine for that limited purpose. However, I also found it was
more or less useless for entering information - let alone large amounts of
info quickly. The screen was just too small, the backlight made it hard to
read and I could never really get a handle on Grafitti. That's why I'm going
back to the Newton. It may be a bit bigger, but it does all the Palm can
plus I can enter notes much faster and then upload them to my desktop. (And
if MS listens to my begging, they'll open up the rest of the Entourage DB so
I can finish Newtourage.)

Believe it or not, when I was a senior in college I used to take class notes
on a MP100 - which was the new model with the 110 at the time. While it was
slow, I could pretty much keep up. The 2100 should be perfect for note
taking.

Just something you may want to think about.

BTW: Get the iBook anyway. If I were you, I'd tack on another $3000 to my
college loans and get a TiBook. If (A) I didn't already own a Pismo and (B)
my wife wouldn't freak out, I'd do it, too.

BBTW: Somebody remind me to tell the list the hoops I had to jump through to
get Carnegie Mellon to let me use a Mac in their b-school. Apparently, I'm
the first non-Wintel user they've ever had. Sheesh.