[NTLK] MP2000 & Extras for Sale

From: Joel Watson (joelwatson_at_enterThought.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 22:35:58 PDT

Unfortunately, I'm selling my MP2k. I'm heading off to college and
I'm going to be out and about more when I get there. I'm planning on
getting a smaller Palm-based PDA (the HandEra 330) due to its greater
portability in pocket-sized situations. It's a very nice unit which
takes quite a few ques from the Newton which makes it more to my
liking than a normal Palm or Handspring. Anyways. I'm attempting to
save for an iBook for college, so I'm planning on purchasing the new
unit with the proceeds of my MP2k. I hope someone out there will give
it a good home. It served me very well this past year that I've owned
it. I'm advertising on Newtontalk.Net before going to eBay, etc., to
give you guys first dibs. I'm asking for US$495 (obo) plus the actual
cost of shipping and insurance for the whole package listed below
(there's a lot). I prefer PayPal payment, but if you simply can't do
this, contact me and I might be able to arrange for something else.
Any pictures mentioned below will not be available until Saturday
morning PST (they will be located at
http://www.NEWTtools.com/mp2kforsale/). If you have any questions,
feel free to email me.

+-----------------------+
| Newton 2000 Package |
+-----------------------+

*Hardware Included:

-Newton MessagePad 2000 (NOT upgraded)

-Original metal stylus

-Apple Nickel-metal-hydride Rechargeable Battery Pack (still in
box--not sure if it's been used before, but I haven't used it the
whole time I've had it)

-Battery cage with eight Rayovac rechargeable AA batteries (I'll
include the recharger unit, but one of my other Rayovac batteries
leaked acid in one of the charging stations, so it may be
unuseable--I haven't tried it since the leak).

-Apple Power Adapter

-3Com Megahertz 10 Mbps LAN card w/XJACK connector (Model 3CXE589ET;
manuals, driver disks, and plastic PCMCIA case included)

-Intel Value Series 100 6 MB Flash Card

-Apollo 33.6 Fax Modem (dongle and manual included)

-Newton Keyboard

-Vinyl Newton Case for Keyboard and MP2k

-Serial connection cable

-Windows cable adapter

-Interconnect<->Serial dongle

-Both dummy PCMCIA cards

*Software Included:

-NetHopper v3.0 (manual included)

-NewtCase v2.1 (manual included)

-NewtonWorks (no original disks, but manual included & software on floppy disk)

-QuickFigure Works (no original disks, but manual included & software
on floppy disk)

-TapWorks

-Columbo's Mystery Capers (includes original box, manual,
registration card, and PCMCIA card w/software on it)

-Newton Connection Utilities (no original disks, but manual included
& software on floppy)

-Other miscellaneous shareware/freeware on floppies

*Hardware Manuals:

-MessagePad 2000 User's Manual

-MessagePad 2000 Getting Started Booklet

-Using E-Mail on Your MessagePad 2000 Pamphlet

-Newton Internet Enabler User's Manual

*Miscellaneous Items:

-Original Box Included (near mint condition)

*Notes:

-Screen Condition: Very good. There are a couple small marks (shown
in pictures) that you can't really call "scratches". They're barely
visible.

-Backlight: The backlight is still very good. Bright.

-Case Condition: The case shows usual wear. It has some abrasions,
but nothing horrible. One of the nibs that hold the screen cover to
the back of the unit broke off when my Newt took a spill while inside
it's case. I still have the nib, but I couldn't get it glued back in
correctly as a couple people who had similar experiences suggested to
me. There is a minor mark next to where the broken nib should be
where some super glue got on the case. It doesn't affect anything,
but it is there. That was when I stopped trying to glue it back on.
SO, if you are more skilled than I am, I'll include the nib for you
to try gluing back on. Currently (and for the past six months), I've
been using two small squares of velcro on the unit to keep the cover
back. It works very well. You can see pictures of it on the website.
The velcro should come off without any trouble if you get the nib
fixed.

-Interconnect Port: The interconnect port seems solid to me. No sign
of collapsing in.

-Ethernet card: It was bought new. It works perfectly with the Newt
and it's how I've been making backups and installing packages since I
got it.

-Flash card: It also works perfectly. What else can I say?

-Modem card: I have no idea. The person I bought it from said it
works, but I've never had a use for it.

-Modem card dongle: Excellent condition. Looks barely used.

-Serial connection cable, windows adapter, & interconnect/serial
adapter: Look brand new. I haven't tested the cable though (due to
using the ethernet card for transferring data).

-Keyboard: Very good condition. No letters worn off. The option key
gets stuck occasionally, but nothing you can't fix when it happens.

-Vinyl case: Good condition. The material attached to the zippers has
come apart as pictured. It seems as though they were glued together.
May be fixable, but it doesn't hinder the use of the case at all.

-Apple Rechargeable Battery: Looks brand new. It came in the original
box with the warning paper re-wrapped around the battery. The plastic
cover for the contact on the battery is included and in prime
condition.

-Battery cage: Prime condition. The spring ejection still works very well.

-Dummy PCMCIA card: Both in prime condition.

-Stylus: It's in good condition.

-All manuals: They're in near mint condition. No water wrinkles or anything.

--
Joel Watson