Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 05:40:04 EST

THX 1138 wrote:
> My understanding of "compression" as it
> relates to music has to do with clipping the top and bottom off the
> frequency to limit the amount of information being stored/played. I
> have a compression pedal for my guitar that eliminates some of the
> hum and squeal.
What you mean is dynamic compression as it was used e.g. in Dolby. And for
your electric guitar you use very likely the inverse of it, an dynamic range
expander which increases the gain automatically at decaying volume. Clipping
in my understanding is a real cutting of the higher level signals by e.g.
the limited dynamic range of the CD.

For any consideration of music/MP3 on the Newton we have to consider that
the Newton hardware is very limiting with its mono 8-bit 8kHz DAC. A MP3
player based upon Newton hardware makes really not much sense.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing