Re: [NTLK] Newton form factor redux

From: Ivan Shaw (ishaw_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 16:32:03 EST

On Thu, Nov 1 2001 Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>I don't understand why they provide a paper notepad. Seems
>that this would have been the perfect occasion to put a small
>battery-powered printer there...

For the TransNote, the theory behind this is that you can scribble on the paper while the computer is off, and then upload the ink information when you have time on your hands to do it. Also, with say, a hard disk failure, you still have your paper copies to refer back to (and reconstruct).

The premise for the Seiko unit is similar; you can Graffiti, draw (and apparently input the drawing into a Palm drawing package), or write short notes on the paper. No one that I know of has been able to move the written notes back to the Palm, but whether it's inability from hardware/software limitations or sheer incompetence is something I haven't bothered to investigate.

The TransNote setup is useful in vertical applications where paper-based data must be maintained but the information is manipulated electronically (e.g. pharmaceuticals, insurance). The paper digitizer section is letter-size and can be set up to allow form input. I can't see an application where the Palm variant would work.

Would I want to carry one? Not particularly. Weight problems and different ways of presenting "functionality" don't make for particularly convincing arguments to replace the MP2100 at this time.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD
Why are you still buying Vitamin D?