[NTLK] Demographics

From: Alexandre Enkerli (aenkerli_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:06:28 EST

Been thinking about the fact that this list's community is full of very
interesting people (Really!) from all over the world but who share some
characteristics in terms of demographics. None of this is surprising as
it probably fits the Net/Geek profile, but it might tell us something
about the Newton's appeal.

Gender is one thing. There may well be a lot of women on the list, but
they don't seem to be heavy posters. Dunno the latest stats but
Geekettes and other female Net-dwellers have been on the rise
consistantly over the last 7 years so this lack of representation is
somewhat surprising. After all, Newtons are not pickup trucks and a
number of women own pickup trucks.

Age is a lot less obvious, and it's in fact hard to know. But there
doesn't seem to be a lot of minors around here. Again, this is not an
R-rated list, so...

Education is probably taken for granted. Not that you have to have a
Ph.D. (or an M.D.) to operate a Newt...

A funny thing, though, is that we seem fairly varied in terms of
profession. A number of us don't fit so closely the vertical market
stereotype (whatever that is) but we still all use our Newts.

Care for a little community census?

Alexandre, French-speaking Montrealers, male, 29yo, graduate student in
ethnomusicology, been a 130 owner for 5 years but still a Newtbie