[NTLK] Star Trek Device

From: Alexandre Enkerli (aenkerli_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 11:45:55 EST

Point taken. In fact, I think a fair amount of what we can *imagine*
being the perfect PDA comes from ST. It either shows how visionary
Roddenberry (sp?) was or it shows our lack of imagination.
The thing is, industries seem to lack even more in imagination. Cram
Windows on a handheld device? Why? Not an OS rant here but it's surely
not "going where no human being has gone before." How about some
people's notion of a Linux handheld. Would you *really* want to run GIMP
on it?
It doesn't mean that these devices are necessarily bad or that the
efforts are vain. But why not a ground-up approach? It seems to be what
the NewtonOS is, designed from the start as a PDA OS.

The road to a perfect PDA doesn't need to be far-reaching. It could
start at the very basic features and step up to a full-fledged device.

Believe it or not, I'm sober, And I haven't been homebrewing for a
couple of weeks now.

Alex, trying to nudge over OMP rating