Re: [NTLK] Wireless + TCP/IP (www)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:11:44 EST

on 11/2/01 7:24 AM, all_at_interlink.com.br at all_at_interlink.com.br wrote:

> Please,
>

> I need a solution to connect 100 Newtons (MP130 - OS 2.0, maybe some
> with SO 1.x) using wireless with a Mac. Using Airport or anything else!!
>
> What wireless ethernet card could I use? Any specific or exist a
> tecnical specification than could I use to buy these cards?
>
> And could I use NIU to connect TCP/IP via this wireless ethernet card?
> I tried to config and was able... but it works?
>
> What exactly I need is connect these Newtons to a single Mac running a
> webserver. And Newtons need to be able to connect to this website
> (wireless) using a single webbrowser (like newtscape) and people using
> Newtons read infos in this website.
>
> My problem is the wireless and how to make Newtons work in this TCP/IP
> ethernet.

Alberto,

What you're asking is almost impossible. Sorry to rain on your parade, but
Ethernet has never been possible on a Newton OS 2.0-based Newton, period.
I'm not even thinking about NOS 1.x devices!!!

Then, the Wireless stuff is another problem. AirPort was not even invented
when the Newton technology was killed. So, there isn't any reliable driver
so far for the AirPort (802.11b) protocol yet. I'm working part time on one,
but even if I ever get something working, that wouldn't be for Newton OS
2.0-based Newton, since that driver will require Newton Ethernet Enabler
2.0, which runs only of Newton OS 2.1 Newtons.

Now, I know that there used to be other wireless solutions, basically to
connect to the Internet wirelessly, but they were expensive, would not
perform very well and support for the Newton has been dropped in many
situations. Somebody in the knowing could probably give you a better
description than what I can do (Ed?)...

-Laurent.

fandango on core n.: [Unix/C hackers, from the Iberian dance] In C, a wild
pointer that runs out of bounds, causing a core dump, or corrupts the
malloc(3) arena in such a way as to cause mysterious failures later on, is
sometimes said to have `done a fandango on core'. On low-end personal
machines without an MMU (or Windows boxes, which have an MMU but use it
incompetently), this can corrupt the OS itself, causing massive lossage.
Other frenetic dances such as the cha-cha or the watusi, may be substituted.
See aliasing bug, precedence lossage, smash the stack, memory leak, memory
smash, overrun screw, core.