Re: [NTLK] Assorted Questions

From: Mietek (mietek_at_icpnet.pl)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:05:25 EST

    All,
My last message has somehow gotten terribly mangled by the list server,
I'm sorry for that, I think it was my ISO-Latin-2 encoding, fixed now.

    So, I repeat my most important question:
Is it still a good idea to buy a Newton now, or should I interest myself=

in other PDA's=3F
    And is 200-250 UK Pounds a reasonable offer for an used MP2100=3F

Jon Glass wrote:
>As for the Polish ogonki, I can vouch that I've never succeeded in gett=
ing
>them to work. :-( Sorry.

    I did some more research, and I found that at <http://metastasis.net=
/
people/mi(c)i/newton=5Fe.html> there are CE fonts for the Newton and
patches that add a Czech keyboard layout. So, strictly keyboard input
shouldn't be no problem at all.
    However, I'm not sure what to do about the written input. From what
I've read, the only way to augment the recognizer is to add a post-
processing module. On the Newton Reference page <http://www.panix.com/
~clay/newton/query.cgi=3Flocale+index> there's this tidbit:

>NordicPrefs 3.0
>Converts any occurence of ae, oe, and aa into their Nordic
>representations =E6, =F8, and =E5 (=E4, =F6, and =E5 in the Swedish ver=
sion). This is
>done when the user press the all-pervading country flag either at the t=
op
>of the screen or in the caret menu. Also applies the proper number, dat=
es
>and time formats along with other country specific settings to the
>Newton. -- Freeware

    Unfortunately, the link is dead, but nevertheless, a similar utility=

for the Polish ogonki should be doable. If the recognizer can deal with
glyphs such as ' , - * in the middle of words, then the notation could b=
even pretty intuitive.

Jon Glass also wrote:
>> Is there a charging station for the MP2100, similar to the one for
>> the 120/130's
>No, unfortunately.

    Well, then, are there any third-party solutions=3F For example, a
cradle that automatically connects to my Mac while recharging the Newton=

and a battery pack=3F

    Thanks,
/Mietek Bak.

PS. Please CC me any replies, as I'm in digest mode.