Re: [NTLK] Newt or PocketPC ? (Previously HWR and smaller screens)

From: Darl Singh (darl_at_xpress.net.nz)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 19:38:44 EST

Sushi said:
<snip>
> > - Last but not least, have software written/tested by folks who have
> > lived and worked outside of the states for extended periods of time so
> > that it really integrates with the different locales around the world.
> > In this area, the Newt leaves a lot to be desired vice the Palm OS.

I agree: none of the really big stuff, but quite a few small things keep
annoying me - printing on non-US-sized paper, dates confusion - mostly with
3rd party apps, but I have been tripped up by something internally - and
area codes that do/don't apply (eg I live in Hamilton, in the middle of the
Waikato area - all an '07' area code. Local calls within Hamilton need no
code - most calls outside of it do. No way to enable/disable this in the
OS - and fudging the number mucks up all numbers when syncing with apps that
_do_ support this).

and doppler said:
> would not really agree on that.
>
> the newt is integrates nomadic lifestyle in wonderful way. i havent heard
of
> any functions like "worksites" in owner info. i can really travel and use
> the newt in different settings with minimal hazzle, not to mention a lot
of
> non-us programmers have released add-on software as well.

Hmm - while I agree the newt _is_ better natively in its worksite app -
different modems, printers etc can be used depending on site - the
_fundamental_ stuff that it does is US-centric.
None of them major flaws, to be sure - but all requiring some degree of
workaround.
By comparison, my 2 laptops (yeah yeah - so I'm a geek!) support the 'NZ'
setups natively and, with the addition of 'netswitcher' (a _must_have_
application for anyone on a Wintel platform moving between
networks/locations, IMHO) do a better 'job' of handling the different
locations than the Newt does.

Of course - the Newt does lots of other things these don't :-) - but it
could have done with further 'debugging' in this area.

All IMHO and of course, YMMV

-D