[NTLK] Syncing: (was: Re: Star Trek Device / Camera)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 03:54:17 EST

on 11/4/01 4:18 AM, PaulMmn at PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

> The iPod solves the problem for MP3s. As far as the advertisements
> claim, everything's automatic. I hope that future enhancements for
> video, email, etc. etc. are just as smoothly integrated!

It works with iTunes only. That would be the catch. BTW, from what I
understand about the Palm, you are kind of forced to use their own software
to sync. On the Mac, it's the resurrected Claris Organizer. On Windows, they
created their own. If the Newton had continued that route with version 2 of
their OS, it might not have been so bad. The problem is that with NCU, they
tried to be all things to all people, or, as the case was with NBU, nothing
to nobody. On the Palm, if you want your software to sync, you have to
depend on the manufacturer. This was true on the Newton as well.

The differences lies in the fact that somehow, the Palm was either better
implemented, or was more widely accepted, and I'm not sure which is true.
The DIL's still exist, but nobody has ever implemented a good solution. I
guess that's because Apple never finished them? How far did Apple go with
providing the tools, and how much of its shortcomings really stem from the
fact that nobody ever bothered to develop their own sync software to take
advantage of what was available. (If I recall, however, NCU came out with
the 2000, when there were already rumors of the Newton's demise.)

How much is still possible with the tools that exist? We have the DIL
tester, and Newtourage. Are there others? Is it still possible?

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland